According to government, the revised structure is focused on uncovered age group of 3 to 6 years, recognized globally as crucial stage for development of mental faculties of a child. The new policy has also thrown some light on homeschooling for toddlers.
The new system will have four stages
- Foundational Stage (three years of anganwadi or pre-school followed by classes 1-2)
- Preparatory Stage (classes 3-5)
- Middle Stage (classes 6-8)
- Secondary Stage (classes 9-12)
Home schooling for toddlers and new Framework
New Basic learning program will be created by the government for parents to teach children up to 3 years in home and for preschool from 3 to 6. A new and comprehensive National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education, NCFTE 2021, will be formulated by the NCTE in consultation with NCERT. It would be common across all states.
Mother tongue or local or regional language is to be the medium of instruction in all schools up to class 5. Sanskrit will be offered at all levels and foreign languages from secondary school level. No language would be imposed on any student though.
Examination Structure & Curriculum
- Instead of exams being held every year, school students will sit only for 3 exams – at class 3, 5 and 8.
- Assessment in other years will be based on analysis, critical thinking and conceptual clarity.
- Curriculum would be more focused on student practical and application knowledge.
Now we can hope our education system will be at par with modern countries and the future of our children will be bright.