Please do these experiments with adult or parent supervision. These easy to do simple experiments will help kids understand, water density, air pressure and role of oxygen in burning.
Warm & Cold Water don’t mix
- Hot water is less dense than cold water, and rises when at bottom and hence it mixes.
- But when hot water is at bottom, it will not rise and hence not mix as well.
Glass & Candle experiment
- Twice as much oxygen is burned than carbon dioxide is released, the air volume decreases.
- Heat by candle, cancels depletion of oxygen temporarily and the water level stays down.
- When oxygen is depleted, candle goes out and the air cools. The volume of the air decreases and the water rises
Balloon Lifts Glass [Air Pressure Experiment]
- Hot air moves out on burning , reducing pressure inside & developing vacuum.
- Balloon sticks to glass, to fill this vacuum and hence lifts glass with it.